Monday, September 7, 2015

All The Best, Monocacy

Today is Labor Day, and it has finally set in that my ProRanger Summer 1 internship has come to an end. I am now walking on sidewalks, taking subways, and there are more people here than cows. Classes have started in North Philadelphia, football season is upon us, and I am already missing my time at Monocacy National Battlefield.
Photo taken of my "backyard", the Thomas Farm, during my last week at Monocacy. 
My final week was spent with the Resource Management division, where I had the privilege of working with 2 SCA (Student Conservation Association) interns and members from the YCC (Youth Conservation Corps). For the first few days, I worked on tagging trees with my roommate Liz. This project was her main focus for her summer internship, so it was great to see everything that she has been working on for awhile.
We placed a tube around the tree to protect it from the animals, and would attach an
identification tag to the tube so we could easily identify and tracks the tree's growth.
My final two days were spent at Gettysburg National Military Park. We were asked to help their Resource Management staff with picking peaches from the Peach Orchard. The trees were becoming too heavy as the peaches were pulling down on the branches, so it was crucial that some peaches were removed. With that being said, it was also an enjoyable time to be outside and enjoy the beauty of Gettysburg.

The Peach Orchard at Gettysburg National Military Park
Picking peaches was a nice activity because it allowed me to reflect on the fantastic time I had this summer. I feel very lucky that I was assigned as a ProRanger at Monocacy National Battlefield. I owe a big thank you to everyone at Monocacy and Antietam for treating me extremely well and giving me a great experience. I look forward to making a visit sometime soon back to Frederick, MD and being back at a place that I consider a second home. The 10 weeks flew by, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead for my next summer.

Thank you for reading my blogs and I look forward to writing more down the road.

Sincerely,

Tim Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment