Monday, September 28, 2015

Manassas National Battlefield Park

My name is Daniel Bussell, I am currently in Temple University's ProRanger Program and spent my summer internship at Manassas National Battlefield Park. After my long struggle and not-so tech savvy skills I have finally made it onto to blog about my experience. I had an excellent time in Virginia and was sad to go. My supervisor and Chief Ranger of Manassas, Mark Howard, provided me with copious amounts of opportunities to attend trainings and refreshers. Through each department, I was welcomed with open arms to teach me more about the roles of their jobs in the park service, from natural resources to administration.
I was given the opportunity to attend Chainsaw Safety, Maintenance, and Operation certification the first week I was at the park. It was a great way to meet the staff of the park, and the volunteers that help maintain it. After receiving my certification in CSMO, it allowed me to work and help with the Fuel Reduction teams. Fuel Reduction projects are areas that are mapped out in the park that have a high potential of wild land fire fuel. We would work to clear and chip fallen trees and branches. We worked to drop every tree to the ground that sat elevated because of the higher chance of drying out and potentially becoming a greater source of fuel to a fire.
Thanks for reading, plenty more to come!

A class photo after we all successfully passed our certification.
Maintenance worker and head of Fuel Reduction crew James Riddick runs over the mapped fuel reduction zones for the areas to be covered with Natural Resource's Allison Sloop.
Fuel Reduction Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment